Jigger Family

Jiggers. Ever heard of them? They are nice little parasite/bugs that get into your skin - mostly on the foot and develop into a worm and lays a nice egg sac. Lovely, isn't it? Well, in all the years we have lived here I had yet to get one. Recently that all changed. It seems the Okkens are magnets for them right now. Since returning in June from the States I have had four, David and Jacob two and Megan one! The Karimojong are pros at spotting them on your foot and removing them. Unfortunately, they have to deal with them a lot more than we do. So we go to our African friends for removal. Which has happened a lot recently. I don't even venture far from our compounds! How are we getting so many I scream or think? It seems it might be the excessive amount of rain we are having that is bringing them out and/or something about our compound. As it seems the other mzungu (white folks) are not getting them much or at all. Right now I am in the 'wear socks and shoes' mode when I leave the house. Just one of the few parasites that enjoy you in Karamoja.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Out Here...

Big News

Sojourns, Snow and Sickness