Sojourns, Snow and Sickness

Sojourns...Well, as furlough continues so do travels. We stayed in some fun places on the east coast during our recent 10 day trip in Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland. We were blessed to be with the Tricaricos' (our teammates in Karamoja) old church in Vienna, Virginia as well as a congregation in Leesburg. From there we moved on to meet with the Committee on Foreign Missions of the OPC in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania. While in the area we also visited the congregation in Glenside. What fun for me to see my old friend, Chandra, and for David to catch up with his seminary buddy, Lane. From there we moved on and spent a couple of days visiting our friends, the Howards, in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. A bonus was Chad Anderson (former Peace Corps guy who lived in Mbale, Uganda) driving all the way from Michigan to join us. Then we made our way to Maryland where we visited OP congregations in Frederick and Columbia. Again we saw many friends, some from San Diego days (David & Jolie Chism) but many who had been in Karamoja. We visited our old teammates, now newlyweds, Ed and Amy Wright as well as Ed's family, in whose house we stayed. Thanks to all who made our stay such a blessing! As you see in the pics, the kids enjoyed plenty of...



Snow...And there was plenty of it. It was a first for Megan and Jacob. Riding on sleds, building an 'igloo' and having snow ball fights, what thrills. As much fun as Caleb had, he still told me he liked the beach a little more. A true Californian at heart I guess. As much fun as everyone had, it was interrupted by...



Sickness...Jacob was hit the worst. He had traveled so well on the plane but Sunday night he was fevered and clearly not himself. He became worse for the next few days. A low point was when he coughed so hard that he gagged himself and threw up on daddy during our meeting with the subcommittee of the Committee on Foreign Missions. Tuesday afternoon we finally took him to a pediatrician who was able to diagnose his ear infection and pneumonia. Poor little guy! Thankfully, the drugs have done their thing and he was pretty much back to his old self by Friday. What a way to travel!

Comments

John said…
I'm glad to hear that Jacob is better! I felt sorry for the tyke--and for his parents having to meet with a Committee while dealing with a sick child. However, it was great to see you again. We give thanks for the Lord's work through you.
Unknown said…
I love all these pictures, especially the ones of you with the Howards! :) Hope you're doing well. Look forward to your return here... :)
Chandra said…
So glad Jacob is better now! He was a trooper, and so were you!

Wonderful to catch up. Hope you can get some rest!
Ian Shelburne said…
Good to read your update -- greetings from Texas!
Rachel Nakor(u) said…
Great to see these pictures - the kids are growing up so fast! Say hi to them for me.

hope furlough isn't too wearing on you guys - we'll be praying that you'll be strengthened - and we're looking forwards to your return.
Ben Everard said…
Hello,

I hope you don't mind me posting this as it's not really a comment, but I'm trying to get some information about the Karamoja region.

I'm currently working for an NGO in Tanzania but I finish in one week. After that I'm planning on traveling round east Africa by bike (the foot powered kind).

I would love to go through Karamoja but I can't seem to find any up-to-date information on the security situation there.

Ideally I'd like to travel from Kitgum to Moroto to Soroti. If you are able to give me any information about what the situation is like up there I would very much appreciate it. Either reply to this comment or drop me an e-mail at ben_everard@yahoo.com

All the best,

Ben

Popular posts from this blog

Still Out Here...

Big News